The Wilderness Living “Survival” Challenge is not actually a standard “survival challenge,” but more like a test of the modern gatherer to sustain himself on wild foods only. We will weight ourselves at the start of the challenge and then weigh-out at the end. If we lose any weight at all, we lose the challenge!
Last season of The Wilderness Living Challenge brought Zach Fowler to Ontario, Canada on my home turf, but this time we are in Zach’s home turf of Maine, USA. The point of all this is simple, gain or maintain body weight only catching cooking our own food. Last season was our best so far, we managed to get all sort of wild foods from beaver to bear, duck, grouse, and more, but will it be as epic this time around? This is a coastal survival challenge!
First we seek out alewife or river herring in order to bait our lobster traps. But after we run out of time, we are left only with bait. The lobster traps will need to stay out in the ocean for at least two nights. The basic idea is to trade a very bony bait fish for something much more palatable, wild, fresh caught lobster.
Local, organic, wild-harvested northern waters fish paté…with subtle creek flavor notes. In this first episode of our wilderness survival challenge we search out lobster and alewife or river herring. We’ll use dip nets and lobster traps in a motor boat to try to balance out our calories.
Check out Zach Fowler: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2h_ncHoP2v6OO_zFsMuOPQ
Follow along as we struggle to get wild foods!
I am joined by Zach Fowler on his home turf in Maine, USA in the spring.
Here, we plan to do Season 5 of The Wilderness Living Challenge. The goal of the challenge is to gain or maintain our body weight eating only the wild food we can collect on site using whatever means necessary.
Winning the Wilderness Living Challenge is harder than it seems.
Season 5: Maine Spring, takes place in Maine, USA with coastal food priorities including fish, clams, crab, seaweed, groundhog, pigeon, turkey, dandelion, cattail, and whatever else is edible! Nothing is off the menu, if it’s edible, we’ll eat it.
We make use of all the resources in this challenge to meet the demands for calories imposed by the human body!
Merch (t-shirts): https://teespring.com/stores/the-wooded-beardsman
Become part of MY TRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuoSzo6nnDLKOiZ_rXHE6Gw/join
– Woodobo Spice: https://www.fowlersmakeryandmischief.com/shop-t-shirts-autographed-pictures-fowler-alone/woodobo-spice-pre-order
– Trail Cameras (Browning): https://browningtrailcameras.com/
– Flashlights (O-light): www.olightworld.com [use code “woodbeard” for 10% off]
– Slingshots, slingbows (Simpleshot): http://simple-shot.com?aff=46
– Camo (ASAT): www.asatcamo.com [se code “WoodBeard” to get 10% off]
– Norwood Portable Sawmill: https://www.norwoodsawmills.com
– Eastonmade Wood Splitter: http://www.eastonmadewoodsplitters.com/
– Briggs and Stratton: https://www.briggsandstratton.com
– Vic West (Roof): https://vicwest.com/
Minnow SMOOTHIES in SURVIVAL CHALLENGE (BAD START)! | Day 1 of 7 of Wilderness Challenge
View original video here